When trying to lose weight, you don’t want anything to slow you down. Unfortunately there are many things that can sabotage your weight loss results without you even realizing it. Here are six sneaky weight loss adversaries to avoid:
1) Lack of Sleep - Sleep is a healing time when your body recharges. When life and work get hectic, it can be difficult to find time for sleep, but studies show that sleep is a key part of weight loss. Weight loss is about changing over to a healthy lifestyle, which includes an average 7 to 9 hours of sleep a night for most adults.
2) Drinks - You have planned out your healthy meals for the week, but did you figure in how many calories are in your drinks? Soft drinks have large amounts of sugar and calories, and many times the serving size will turn out to be much smaller than the amount that you are consuming. Be careful - 8 ounces can easily turn into 16 or more if you go back for a few refills.
3) Salads - Salads are the classic diet food, but they can easily sabotage your weight loss results. Salads are inherently healthy (especially if you choose dark greens), but a few tablespoons of your favorite salad dressing can turn this into a sugary snack full of calories. Make sure that you look up exact serving size of your favorite salad dressings and always order dressing on the side when you go out to eat.
4) Stress - We all know that stress can cause havoc on your body, but it can especially affect your weight loss goals. High stress levels can cause you to gain or lose weight in an unhealthy manner. It is not always possible to limit all the stressors in your life, but it is important to set aside time for yourself to promote your healthy lifestyle change.
5) Eating in front of the TV - There is a reason that we have things called “TV dinners.” We’ve all done it - sitting in front of the TV, eating your meal or bag of chips, not realizing how much you have actually eaten. To keep this from happening avoid eating in front of the TV or portion out your meal before hand.
6) Skipping breakfast - Many people skip breakfast in the hope of saving a few extra calories. Unfortunately this is not a good tactic if you are trying to lose weight. Even though you are eating less calories, not eating breakfast causes your metabolism to slow down for the rest of the day. Instead you should eat a healthy snack in the morning. This will kick start your metabolism, resulting in you burning more calories throughout the day and having more energy.
Losing weight takes time and discipline. If you are trying to live a healthier lifestyle you should try to avoid these things that can prevent you from reaching your weight loss goals. For help improving your weight loss results contact the Riverside weight loss team.